Mark Shapiro is a Partner and Chairman of the Financial Restructuring & Insolvency group in New York and a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Mark was Managing Director & Head of Restructuring at a multi-billion-dollar global hedge fund. In addition, Mark also spent 12 years as an investment banker and Head of Restructuring at Barclays and Lehman Brothers. He has extensive experience as an investor, investment banker and law firm restructuring, financing and bankruptcy partner, working successfully on some of the most complex distressed situations in the US and internationally over his 30-year career. He has successfully formed and led ad hoc creditor and equity holder committees in many distressed situations as well as worked on the company side of many large restructurings, and is known for finding creative and commercial solutions to complex problems.
- Led both public and private side fixed income investments and bond, loan and equity ad hoc committees in connection with PG&E, Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, Travelport, Mallinckrodt, Intelsat, First Energy, Energy Harbor, Aubrey McClendon estate, Peabody Coal, Comstock Resources, Ultra Petroleum and many others.
- Led investment banking financing and underwriting teams on many complex financing transactions in Chapter 11 and out of court, including Rescap DIP and Exit Loans, Tribune DIP Loan, OSG Shipping Exit Loan, CIT Financial Rescue, JC Penney Rescue, Patriot Coal DIP and Exit Loan and others.
- Led investment banking advisory teams in many high profile Chapter 11 cases and cross-border restructurings, including US Airways acquisition of American Airlines, Rotech Healthcare in its Chapter 11 case, PBGC in Saint Gobain/Ardagh sale, Pinnacle Airways in its Chapter 11 case, Asarco in its Chapter 11 case, Six Flags in its Chapter 11 case, Generation Brands in its out of court restructuring, Eurotunnel in its out of court restructuring, Meridien Hotels PLC in its recapitalization, Brookfield in connection with GGP Chapter 11 case and others
- Led assignments in a number of restructurings in Latin America including TGLT (Argentina), Oi S.A. (Brazil), BAESA (Argentina), Alpargatas (Argentina) and others.
Columbia Law School
- Articles Editor of the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law
B.A., magna cum laude
- Political Science
- Thomas Watson Fellowship finalist
- Junior Year Semester at London School of Economics
- Honored by the AJC Bankruptcy Committee with National Human Relations Award in 2011
- Speaker on Lehman Brothers Chapter 11 case and other issues at Yale School of Management, Columbia Business School, Wharton School of Business and have participated as a speaker in many expert panels and conferences, including National Bankruptcy Judges Conference, ABI, Barclays High Yield Conference
- New York State Bar Association Committee on Bankruptcy (2002)